
I guess I spoke too soon...last night was a scary one and now I don't get to work for the rest of the week . After work I began to feel really lightheaded and nauseous, and began having a number of braxton hicks contractions. I've been noticing these for months now, but usually they don't come one after the other. I tried to eat some dinner, drink some fluids, and sit for a while, but by 8 or so they weren't letting up. I called my doctor and she asked me to lay down and time them, and to call back if I was having more than four in an hour. Half an hour later I had had six! And off to the hospital we were sent.
It was good practice for the real deal. Nat ran around packing the essentials (TUMs for my unceasing reflux and snacks and water in case ice chips were the only menu items.) He was scatter-brained parking and almost didn't turn off the car before leaving it! I was chattering my teeth and shivering the whole way, I was so nervous for the baby. We were ushered up to the labor and delivery triage where bigger pregnant people than me were huffing and groaning and the echoes of baby heartbeats were everywhere. They hooked me up to monitors and it was a big relief to hear little pea's heart whooshing away, strong and clear. It was also sort of weirdly validating to see the contractions on the trace...not that I wanted them to be there, but at least I was in tune with my body.
They did a test for Fetal Fibronectin and checked to see if I was dialating, which I wasn't. The baby seemed fine, not dropping and still bopping around like crazy (and had been all day). The nurse said the heart accelerations and decelerations looked more like those of an older baby, which I took for a good sign. After a couple of hours the contractions didn't seem to get any worse, though they were still happening every few minutes. The test came back negative, which seems to suggest that the kid won't be making an appearance for the next few weeks at least. And so I was sent home with orders to call the OB in the morning and to stay low for the rest of the week. Bummer. But whatever it takes to keep this kid healthy...even if it means being broke and bored. I need to find more home-based projects that don't require moving stuff around or heavy cleaning. I think my projects at work are actually less physical!
And thus ends another trip to the darker side of preggersville. Wish us luck in making it another 10 weeks!

5 comments:
hey....carrie sent me your link. best of luck! and toss the tums....pepcid complete is way more effective.
good luck and rest.
hey, it's polly..
fingers and toes crossed for good health!! Try to relax and know that everything will work out just fine!!
hey it's heather
scary! I am glad you're ok.. take it easy and good luck!
hey, its jimmy.
You stay healthy my friend. You need movies/the entire catalog of West Wing episodes?
thanks for the offer james, Nat is currently addicted to all things Office, so we're in a marathon of Brit and American comparison...I will let you know when I tire of it (like, tomorrow?)
Post a Comment