Thursday, March 08, 2007

B-day Surprises

Thanks all for your b-day wishes, I've taken the day off and it is so sunny and beautiful. I started the day with an early morning ultrasound. The belly was measuring big and tight at my doctor's appointment yesterday, so she wanted to get some measurements to make sure he was fitting down into my pelvis as well as he should. The estimated weight of the little guy, based on his head and bones, is 10 lbs 4 oz. Crazy! They say it could be off by 29 ounces, which means he's likely between 8.5 and 12, still pretty big if we have two weeks left. How the heck did I grow this big a baby between the morning sickness, heartburn, and lack of appetite? Imagine how big he'd be if I'd been able to pile it on! The irony is that everyone at work has been commenting on how small I seem for being this far along. Guess that's not the best indicator. It was a great present to see his little bod. He has chubby cheeks, pouty lips, and his momma's nose, from what we could make out in the haze. And huge feet. What I've been thinking was a knee moving back and forth under my ribs is actually a foot. Pretty amazing.

So wish me early labor, everybody - I'm a bit afraid of birthing a giant!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot of stories about untrasound size predictions being WAY off so don't let give it a lot of thought!

Gail Weaver said...

Happy Birthday, Erin! It sounds as if you had a good day.

And your hair looks great. I say bring the mascara along for the delivery - you deserve to primp yourself a bit for the photos (heck, you did all - ok, maybe not all but certainly the hardest - part of the work!)

(Also, I am sure that for the women using the birthing mirror for their lipstick, applying make-up is their form of meditation...)