Thursday, November 09, 2006

Here at home...

Pregnancy REALLY lowers your immune system. I have the added bonus of working with raw fish and small children every day, so my exposure to icky bacteria and bugs is pretty high. I'm staying at home today, trying to remind myself to take care of my body. I've had a cold creep up on me the last couple of days that started with minor sneezing and sore throat and has progressed rapidly to body cramping, a long, fitfull night, and the inability to keep any food down since lunch yesterday. So, even though the Veteran's Day holiday tomorrow already leaves me with one less day of pay for this week already, I'm taking another one today to try to wipe out this bug before it blossoms into another month-long cold like the one I had during my first trimester. I do hate feeling like I need to "give in" to my body so much lately. I feel really out of control, not being able to eat what I want or sleep when I want or work a full freakin' work week! And there are still 4 months to go...

There's not too much to do here in the cottage except the things I've been avoiding - cleaning, bills, planning for the next year, that sort of stuff. TV works very well for keeping me numbed and resting, but we really need to cut the cord on the cable soon. The poor baby will be well attuned to "A Baby Story" and the "70's Show" re-runs before ever leaving the womb. I've been listening to a lot of NPR this morning and reading a backlog of newspaper political commentary on the elections. I'm cautiously optimistic (very cautiously.) It fun to vote in Berkeley...getting to impeach the president and spend billions of other people's money on education reforms. Seems like the commercial campaigns played a much bigger role in the outcomes of the bond measures than any real facts, which is a bummer.

Time to take the meager medicine I can and maybe get some fresh air in the garden...wish my life and brain activity were more active!


No comments: